Advanced Optical Microscopy Facility (CCiT-UB)
All core facilities
- Cytometry and Cell Sorting Facility
- Functional Genomics
- Magnetic resonance imaging
- Medical Statistics
Light microscopy technologies
- Laser Scanning Spectral Confocal microscopy: Conventional and resonant scanner
- Non Linear microscopy:
- Two photon excitation microscopy
- Second Harmonic Generation (SHG)
- Widefield microscopy
- Bioluminiscence (Animal Facility)
Microscopy techniques and applications
- Fluorescence, reflection, transmitted and polarized light.
- Multi-channel and multidimensional (xyztλ) confocal images.
- Tile scan and multi-position images acquisition
- Live cell microscopy
- Molecular proximity analysis: FRET (Fluorescence resonance energy transfer). Intensity-based methods.
- Molecular dynamics analysis by photobleaching and photolabelling techniques: FRAP (Fluorescence recovery after photo-bleaching); Inverse FRAP, FLIP (Fluorescence loss in photo-bleaching); photo-activation and photo-conversion.
- Intravital Microscopy (live animal): Confocal, multi-photon; resonant scanner (high speed).
- Two photon excitation microscopy.
- GSecond Harmonic Generation.
Image Processing and Analysis
- Complete support in data processing and image analysis (open source programs, commercial packages)
- Custom macro development for automatic processing
- Training in image processing and analysis
Cell culture and micromanipulation
- Cell lines maintenance for microscopy experiments.
- Molecular and Cellular Staining (transfection, staining)
· Support provided on all the steps of the experiments
o Methodological setup (design of study protocol)
o Sample preparation (preservation, labelling, sectioning)
o Training in infrastructure use
o Technical assistance to run instruments
o Data processing and analysis.
· Development of new technologies and image analysis strategies adapted to the special needs of every project
· Training activities on biological imaging techniques and image analysis at different levels (beginners, intermediate and advanced).
- Laser Scanning Confocal Spectral Microscope Leica TCS-SL
- Laser Scanning Confocal Spectral High Speed Multiphoton Microscope Leica TCS-SP5
- Automated Inverted Microscope (fluorescence and transmitted light)
- Leica DMI6000 monocromatic camera
- Upright microscope (fluorescence, transmitted and polarized light) Leica DMRB color camera Leica DF450
- Microinjector Leica ASTP
- Biolumiscence system AEQUORIA Luxiflux and camera ORCA-ER Hamamatsu
- Workstations for Image Processing and Analysis
- Wet lab
- Cell culture room
Dr. Maria Calvo
Head of the Facility