Respiratory, cardiovascular and renal pathobiology and bioengineering
Dr. Ramon Farré
(Universitat de Barcelona)
The area has 10 teams, and is focused on the study of three vital parts of the body: the respiratory, cardiovascular and renal systems. It deals with the various pathologies and risks affecting these systems, from different standpoints.
Half these teams are dedicated to the study of arterial hypertension, coronary disease and electrophysiology, lipids as a cardiovascular risk factor and nephrourological diseases, and kidney transplants. The other half are part of the Networked Biomedical Research Centre on Respiratory Disease (CIBERes), in which a large number of Spanish centres participate. Its research programmes deal with the following topics: inflammation and repair of the respiratory tracts, molecular bases of respiratory infections, pathobiology of lung cancer, respiratory disorders during sleep and respiratory failure. The scientific output of Area 2 is reflected in its high impact factor.
- Atherosclerosis, coronary disease and heart failure Manel Sabaté (Hospital Clínic)
- Arrhythmias, resynchronization and cardiac imaging Josep Brugada (Hospital Clínic)
- Nephro-urological diseases and kidney transplantation Fritz Diekmann (Hospital Clínic)
- Cardiovascular risk, nutrition and aging Dr. Ramon Estruch
- Respiratory biophysics and bioengineering Ramon Farré (Universitat de Barcelona)
- Applied research in infectious respiratory diseases, critically ill patients and lung cancer Antoni Torres (Hospital Clínic)
- Physiopathological mechanisms of respiratory illnesses Joan Albert Barberà (Hospital Clínic)
- Clinical and Experimental Respiratory Immunoallergy (IRCE) Joaquim Mullol (IDIBAPS)
- Inflammation and repair in respiratory illnesses Alvar Agustí García-Navarro (Hospital Clínic)
- Genetic and urological tumours Antonio Alcaraz (Hospital Clínic)